Thursday, September 18, 2008

Phusion daemon_controller gem

Just re-read a nice introduction about daemon_controller. It will be very useful for me because I often use background jobs and full-text-search daemon.

Extracted from Phusion blog:

daemon_controller is not a replacement for Monit or God, or for tools like launchd, daemons tools, inittab, etc. Rather, it is a solution to the following problem:

Hongli: hey Ninh, do a ‘git pull’, I just implemented awesome searching features in our application!
Ninh: cool. *pulls from repository*
Ninh: hey Hongli, it doesn’t work.
Hongli: what do you mean, it doesn’t work?
Ninh: it says “connection refused”, or something
Hongli: oh I forgot to mention it, you have to run the Sphinx search daemon before it works. type “rake sphinx:daemon:start” to do that
Ninh: great. but now I get a different error. something about BackgrounDRb.
Hongli: oops, I forgot to mention this too. you need to start the BackgrounDRb server with “rake backgroundrb:start_server”
Ninh: okay, so every time I want to use this app, I have to type “rake sphinx:daemon:start”, “rake backgroundrb:start_server” and “./script/server”?
Hongli: yep

Imagine the above conversation becoming just:

Hongli: hey Ninh, do a ‘git pull’, I just implemented awesome searching features in our application!
Ninh: cool. *pulls from repository*
Ninh: awesome, it works!

No comments: